Though the different views are genuine and true in its nature , the fact remains that Lay offs are reality of our times. ( Air-India’s so called unpaid leave is essentially same as the period is pretty long , it is in years ).
In this globalized economy flickering of butterfly in one corner of world creates storms in other part of world. And current economic events are more than that flickering.
First we need to accept the fact that job-loss is going to be part of life. Even the country like Japan ,where life-time employment was norm was not immune from this. Specially after recent financial turmoil.
Now once we accept the fact , lets jot down some points ,
- Always prepare for worst – My one of the mentor used to say keep your CV always polished. ( we were part of a mission critical 24X7 environment where things can go wrong any time ,in spite of all precautions. So be always ready. )
- Never burn bridges and quit on good terms. For a mass lay-off , your performance is not responsible. So pick up a recommendation letter.
- Your network is a best place to start searching job. Even previous employer may have a position for you.
- Do you have unemployment insurance ? It is best bet in mass lay-offs.
- How about sharpening skills ? Picking up those skills or courses ,which you always wanted to do .
- Isn’t it a good time to take a hard look at your goals and career. This is a good time to think about career-change as well . Little search will show that forced departure opens more satisfying career for many job-seekers.
- Did I mention to keep tight tab on expense and not to use that credit card for a while ?